Come to Valle Salado, in the town of Salinas de Añana in Alava (Basque Country-Spain), and enjoy a unique experience: visit and enjoy one of the most singular architectural, scenic, archaeological, geological and historical sites in the world.
In Valle Salado, you can participate in the recovery project, open to the public, that is being carried out to return this ancient salt production site with a history of over 6,500 years, comprising thousands of salt-pans, to its splendour.
During the guided tour of Valle Salado, you will have the opportunity to:
- become familiar with its history and with the recovery process of its singular terraces of salt-pans, built of stone, clay and wood since Roman times
- understand why there is salt in this location
- walk along the paths and follow the network of hundreds of wooden channels that distribute the salt water from the springs throughout the 120,000 m2 of the site.
- become familiar with the trade of a salt farmer and learn to produce and taste the different varieties of high-quality salt that are extremely valued in haute cuisine
- sink your feet and hands in the hypersaline waters of the Salt Spa and enjoy its health benefits
- appreciate the unique fauna and flora of this landscape.
The uniqueness of the Añana salt farm and its recovery project are being acknowledged by thousands of visitors. Consequently, Valle Salado has become a candidate to become a UNESCO World Heritage Site
It is also a Site of Cultural Interest and has been included in the Ramsar List of Wetlands of International Importance.