Built in 1536, a prototype of Renaissance houses, it is seen as one of the most outstanding noble buildings in the Basque Country. Located on the beach frontline, it was the summer residence of Isabel II Queen of Spain and of illustrious Jesuit Father Coloma, among other celebrities.
The houses bordering this square are representative of the development of the town. Next to moderner buildings, some in neo-Basque style, stands the Makatza House which, built in the 15-16th century, is one of the oldest buildings in town and keeps its aspect of fortress and tower house.
In Kale Nagusia (street). Built in the 15th century for the Zarauz family, it is one of the best examples of civil gothic architecture. The Zarauz Tower House. First house of the Zarauz, who left it in 1457 to go and live in a moderner one, it keeps its defensive aspect despite the parts added during the baroque period. The Tower houses the Art and History Museum of Zarautz.
16th century. Belongs to the Basque mansion style. There still exist traditional design elements in its façade, like the slightly pointed arch.
Presently the seat of the Town Hall. Erected by the Portu family in the 16th century, this is a lovely, elegant building with fluted pilasters adorning the façade.
Parish Church St María La Real.
Standing in an extreme end of the town, it still features the original Latin Cross floor plan with two entrances. One of them allowed access from Narros Palace, dwelling of the patron saints' descent. The church inside is decorated with an altarpiece by Andrés and Juan de Araoz. In a side chapel lies the grave of Lope Martínez de Zarauz, adviser to King Henry IV of Castile and Leon.
St John the Baptist Church and Monastery (Franciscan Frs)
Founded by Juan Mancisidor, secretary of Philip III, in 1610. It was sacked by the French in 1794 and needed important repairs. Its library houses a large collection of Basque literature. Inside the church, you can see a 16th-century religious triptych from Flanders.
Santa Clara Convent.
Founded in 1611, this was the first convent for nuns of the Order of St Clare in the province. The building of ashlar stones is simple and austere, consistent with the architectural lines of the mendicant orders.