The Town of Errenteria, in the Oiartzun Valley, to the north east of the Province of Gipuzkoa, was founded in 1320 on receiving the Chapter of San Sebastián from Alphonse XI. Although the foundational document indicates the name of "Villanueva de Oiarso", the denomination "Rentería" was used from very early on due to its commercial port activities. The old part still has its original medieval layout.
The town´s industrial past has given way to bustling commerce and a wide range of cafes and restaurants. On a hill surrounded by countryside, the Fort of San Marcos offers 360º panoramic views. Not far from there are the megalithic routes leading to Aizpitarte caves and the Aitzetako Txabala dolmen, the antechamber of the Añarbe reservoir.