The Royal Monastery belonged to the Order of Malta and is formed of different bodies. It is laid out in a slightly rectangular fashion, with a small open patio on the outside to the east. The most characteristic element is the bell tower.
Access to the convent is by way of a doorway under a semicircular arch with the key voussoir showing us the Malta Cross, a motif which is repeated in several places.
The Monastery links to the town via the "Terrazos" bridge over the river of the same name. Built from stone in 1762, it replaced the previous wooden bridge.