October 1991 saw the creation of the "NEKAZALTURISMOA-LANDATURISMOA" association which brings together rural farmhouses and rural guesthouses in the Basque Region.
The aims of the Association are the following:
- Foster the development of products (accommodation and services), grouped under the name NEKAZALTURISMOA - LANDATURISMOA.
- Standardised definition and classification of the existing products presently under the mentioned name, as well as carrying out commercial research studies to improve existing products or create new ones with the needs-desires of the customers.
- Control the quality of the equipment and services offered by these lodgings and their proprietors, through collaboration in drawing up a regulation considered necessary, and the mandatory fulfilment of this on behalf of all the members.
- Motivate the organisation and cooperation among the members, as well as their training and professional qualification.
- Carry out technical-economic organisation activities of the different products, with the aim of contributing to achieving maximum efficiency in carrying out the activity.
- Ensure promotion and advertising, as well as the commercialisation and distribution of the products, through the creation of their own agency, of a computerised booking service, contracts with public and/or private entities, etc.
- Establish agreements and arrangements with all types of public and/or private interlocutors in terms of the objective set out.
- Similarly, carry out as many action permitted by the regulation in force, considered necessary to defend all types of interests of the members.
The organisation structure of the Nekazalturismoa-Landaturismoa boasts three level of territorial action to cover the major need for coordination:
- On a regional level through the Board of Directors, who are in charge of drawing up global programmes of tourism development which must be defined and consented upon by the entire sector, formed by four people from each province.
- On a provincial level a Provincial Assembly is convened which transmits the programmes developed in the Board meeting and detects requirements. This body has an informative nature and is for proposing different issues.
- On a local level it is the local coordinator who is in charge of reporting to each one of the members in their area.
And at the end of the year the General Meeting, the "Supreme Body" is held for all the members. The Human Resources are organised through the Working Commissions: Organisation and management, commercialisation, quality, training etc.
Until 1999 the agrotourism project was coordinated together with the employees of the Garai office and the Nekazalturismoa-Landaturismoa Association.
Throughout these years there was only a single agrotourism model in the Basque Autonomous Community but on 19th Feb 1998 the first rural guest house in The Basque country; "Arboliz" in Ibarrangelu (Bizkaia), opened its doors.
From this moment on the Nekazalturismoa-Landaturismoa Association brought together rural farmhouse accommodation and rural guesthouses in the Autonomous Basque Region.
As has been previously mentioned the Nekazalturismoa-Landaturismoa Association is the interlocutor of the sector with the Administration. There is a Collaboration Agreement which since 1999, presents improvements as the budget is managed from the Association itself, i.e., the association has had self autonomy from then to the present.
From the outset of the Association, the most significant element has been the generous policy by the members of the Board, with numerous monthly board meetings, participation in Commissions, attendance at different commercialisation and training forums. But based on the assumption of disposition and motivation, the position of the board of directors in the area of management was severely limited and brought with it certain organisational fatigue. There was dependency on certain members of the group for specific jobs and the capacity of the figure of the President to bring about changes in the management process. All of which led to staff recruitment.
The offices were provisionally during 5 months in the Laboratories of the Forestry School at Fraisoro (Zizurkil) until becoming definitely installed in the present-day offices in the Palacio Kursaal of Donostia/San Sebastián on 25th July 1999.